December 7, 2011

Butterfly Notebooks...

Recently my sister gave me these big spools of thread that she used for her professional embroidery business that she's getting out of. I didn't know quite what I was going to do with them but as a crafter, who can resist good stuff?
Then I recalled seeing ideas on blog where crafters used thread to create fun embellishments. I had to give it a try on some butterflies that I die cut using Papertrey's Signature Series: Butterfly die. I just wadded up a very long length of thread until it resembled a small rat's nest of sorts with lots of loops. The entire time I was creating these I thought of Josey and her messy buns that she wears often. She throws up her beautiful, red hair into a darling little bun with little sprigs and loops of her curly locks spilling out everywhere. So I think I'll call my string creations "messy bundles" from now on. To finish the embellishment I layered a punched doily from a Martha Stewart punch, a Vintage Button and then tied a long bow through all the layers. Patterned paper for die cut butterflies is from October Afternoon.
I used one of the messy bundle butterfly embellishments to create a notebook. I thought some cheery notebooks might make for some good holiday gifts. The base of my notebook is Papertrey's Rustic White cardstock with a Vintage Cream Notebook. Cardstock was splattered with Mister Huey spray mist from Studio Calico.
I used my Take Note stamp set to embellish a piece of yellow gingham cardstock. A small metal clip and snippet of velvet trim adorn the sentiment piece.
The bottom of the notebook has two strips of patterned adhered to the notebook. A Dainty Doily was then adhered, trimmed and stitched on the edge. I used a Studio Calico Ampersand Mask and Mister Huey spray mist as a final touch on the front cover. This ties in with the little stamped ampersand on the *this & that* sentiment.
I think I'll set aside some time to make a basketful of notebooks to have handy for teachers and friends that drop by this holiday season. In the meantime I have some kits in my Etsy shop if you'd like to try your hand at a few. :) Assembly required.

8 comments:

Mandy said...

These look fabulous Mish...love how you've used the thread, what a great idea!

xx

Unknown said...

all those butterflies grouped together looked like they were swirling about, thanks to the tails of the bows! so comforting on a rainy day here in GA!

Robin said...

These are fab... love the idea of the clip to hold it together!!
Robin

Diana F. said...

Such a cute notepad! I love to see how you put all the pattern papers with stamping together. Love it!!

Lynn said...

super cute!

Tamika said...

these are beautiful

Cele Schaffer said...

Love the thread and butterflies! Wanting to see some December Daily!!!Hope your enjoying the Holidays so far-that puppy is adorable!

Meghan said...

I'm really curious which Martha Stewart doily punch you used to make the darling little doily for the butterfly embellishment. Is it still available?

Related Posts with Thumbnails