September 30, 2011

Banner Builder Revisited

Hi there. It's October 1st....and my Jordan turns 13 today so Happy Birthday to her!! The Senior girls at Papertrey have some projects for you today. We're making holiday banners using the great banner building dies. I am using the Boxy Banners set of dies for my project but be sure to check out the triangular Basic Banners and the Banner Borders at this link.

For my holiday banner...or garland as I refer to it......I started out by cutting the small and large Boxy Banners from felt and some Michael Miller fabric. Both products cut nicely with the dies. If you need to shim a little bit, start with a piece of folded copy paper, then work your way up to a thickness of cardstock if you need to. Mine cut beautifully with just a few thread snips on the material.

I'm using my garland as a holiday decoration in the reds' new lounge room. I wanted to create a garland that could be interchangeable and a little bigger in size so that I can change out just one banner for each holiday/occasion. To do this, I created a paper bag base to go under each felt/fabric piece. I saw this idea on Pinterest and knew that I had just the right paper bags from my shop to do the trick (more in the shop later). I used a store bought binding as the garland string to hand it on the wall. Thinking ahead, I spaced the sacks far enough apart that I could clip on additional accents like a triangular piece if I wanted to. Everything that I add from this point on will be removable by using clothespins or little clips.
I knew I wanted to add my homespun flair to this project so I went to work creating some die cut star accents (from the Seeing Stars Die Collection) that are topped with circles cut from an old, tattered quilt. My mom stitched me up five pretty yo-yo's that are topped with Vintage Buttons and baker's twine from PTI.

Note: I've had this beautiful line of Michael Miller fabric in my stash for some time and thought it would be very suitable for the girls' lounge. I'm hoping maybe Jordy might want to take on a new quilt project using the remainder of the fabrics. So many quilts, so little time.....
So on to the embellishments for my garland. For each banner section I wanted to layer on a yo-yo + some sort of embellishment. I decided to work with Button Cards and layered PTI die cuts using a holiday chipboard line from Crate Paper.

This embellished button card features die cut and stamped snowflakes from Snowfall Additions along with Button Boutique stamps and tied Vintage Buttons. Love the cheery colors on this one. Each embellishment is clipped to the garland with a glittered clothespin.
This pieces uses a Mat Stack 4 die and is layered with a chipboard snowman topped with tied Vintage Buttons.
Another Button Card embellishment layered with tied Vintage Buttons, chipboard pieces and a cute stamped and die cut snowflake. The key here is lots of little layers and pop dots. Makes for major cuteness.
Here's another Mat Stack die layered with chipboard deer and snowflake.
And another Button Card layered stamped with colorful stamps from the Button Boutique stamp set + layers of chipboard accents, buttons on a string, snowflake + glittered jingle bell.
A few close ups of the button cards. Just keep adding little bits and pieces. The baker's twine adds some dimension and additional cuteness.
Here you can see my star accents and yo-yo's along with another button card.
Add a few rhinestones here and there for extra sparkle. Love.
Once I had all my embellishments, it was show time. I added the yo-yo's to my fabric piece with simply pop dots so that I could remove them if needed. The rest of the embellishments were clipped on with clothespins.
And here's what the entire garland looks like spread out. It was hard to photograph on the wall due to shadows but I think you can get the idea here on my little side table.
Hope you'll join me as I hop around to the other girls' blogs to check out their banners:

19 comments:

Debbie Olson said...

So lovely, Mish!

Sheryl said...

Such a beautiful garland Michelle and I love your color combos! Happy birthday to your precious daughter! (my youngest ds and I have Oct b-days, or as we like to call it..."ROCKtober" lol!)

Jen said...

love the idea of it being interchangeable.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jordan ! We share a birthday - only a few years apart (ummmm make that 25 !!!) Hope you had as great a birthday as I did !!!

Holly Saveur said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Jordan!
Hope you all have a fab. day!
Love the banner such gorgeous colors.

Gabby said...

Lovely, lovely garland! The colors and prints and embellishments make me swoon! :)

Linda said...

Happy birthday to your daughter all the way from Aus..
Stunnig banner michelle,you make it sound really easy.

Patty J said...

So fresh and funky - love it!

Debbie said...

Happy Birthday to Jordan! Love the garland. I'm sure it looks great in the lounge! :)

- elbeth - said...

I love your ideas! You're a great inspiration! Thanks for this post!

Kay D said...

wow. just wow. that is all. my brain cannot form the words...

Becky said...

Gah! How freaking cute is THIS??? Luh-huve it!!!! Happy birthday to your baby! :)

LMcBurney said...

Adorable! I love your style Mish! Very vintage with whimsy to keep it fun.

KAREN said...

Love your banner and love your yo yos and embellishment choices. Would love to see the girls lounge when it is done. Do you think your mom would make some Christmas yo yos for your shop?

Tell Jordan Happy Birthday for me!

Cele Schaffer said...

Love this garland! You have the best ideas paired with the best colors! We need a tutorial on Yo Yo's from your mom...

Teresa Zuehls said...

Such a pretty garland. Love the idea how it you will be able to change it through out the year.

Rose Curtis said...

Your garland is so pretty ... a country garland with added spice! Love it! =)

Karen W said...

Love your banner!

Deirdre said...

Fab - love what you created.

Related Posts with Thumbnails