January 31, 2011

Yo Yo Jar Cards

EDIT: Wow, you guys shop fast. The Yo Mamas are sold out right now. My mom is tickled pink. She's probably whipping up yo yos as fast as she can! Thanks so much, you made her day!!

Hi friends. Watching the winter weather progress here in Kansas. Freezing rain right now with possibly 10" of snow coming. What? So much for my thoughts of Spring, right?

Today I have some adorably sweet cards to show you along with a new addition to my Etsy shop. If you've been following my blog then you know that my mom has been stitching up Yo Yo's like crazy. Each day she brings me over her little completed Yo Yo's in a baggie. After building up quite a stash, I think it's time that I share some with you.

But first, let's see what we can do with Yo Yo's. Using inspiration from Tara Anderson, I created these shabby, layered cards featuring Friendship Jar and the coordinating jar die.
On the stamped and die cut jars, I stitched on layers of patterned paper and lace. A purple Yo Yo with a stitched on button was added on top. Behind the jar is more die cut patterned paper and a Dainty Doily.
Extra Vintage Buttons tied with Rustic Twine, rhinestones(you can find other colors from PTI here) and small stamped hearts were the finishing touches.
For the bottom of my cards, I reached up on the shelf for my misters to create a fun sentiment accent. Using a PTI scalloped border die, I cut a piece of scrap paper and masked off a scallop on my cardstock base. I sprayed the mist to create a white blank area. This is where I stamped my sentiment from Simple Sentiments. A great way to add faux texture and dimension to card without creating extra layers. Above the sentiment I added some scrap snippets of patterned paper, securing them down with my sewing machine. The small label punch is from EK Success, also pulled down from the shelf.
Oh how I love these shabby, sweet cards. If you'd like to create some cards like mine, I'm now offering my mom's sweet Yo Yo's in my Etsy shop. I'm offering up a package of 5 Yo Yo's (four large circles and one small heart). They're packaged up oh so cute and are ready to go.

A Mishie story: Every time I call my mom now she answers the phone with a "Yo Yo" gangsta greeting. It cracks me up every time. So I have lovingly named my mom's Yo Yo's......you can now get a package of Yo Mama Yo Yo's in the shop very soon. :)

They come adhered to a plastic sheet with a cute Created by Yo Mama tag and ribbon.
Oh so cute and adorable. Stay tuned for more fun ideas using the Yo Mamas soon. :)

13 comments:

Jennifer Chapin said...

So cute! I love the purple ones!!

DeeDee said...

I love it! These are so lovely Mish! So that's where you got your creativity from.....Yo Mama! LOL! Such a sweet addition to your already cute cards!

Oh, BTW...I posted the other card I made with your Valentine Exchange kit here:
http://deedeecampbell.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-want-28-kisses-please.html

Thanks again for all the FUN! HUGS! :)

Cindy said...

These are so pretty. So fun for your mom to be crafting with you. The name is so cute!

Renee said...

You better be giving "Yo Mama" great big hugs! :)
They are so adorable and how wonderful that the two of you can come together on these...memories in the making.
The cards are absolutely adorable!
And I hope ya'll keep that snow ya'll's way...Spring has arrived in TN and I want it to stay...but the weatherman is scaring me with the forecast for tomorrow...

Eveline said...

Lovely cards.
Eveline.

Miss Jessie said...

Super cute! I wish there were some Jayhawk colors, though :)

I live outside of Lawrence and am definitely sick of this weather!

Barbara said...

The yoyo's are adorable Mish and love these cards. Are you trying to create another trend?

Lynn said...

these are the cutest cards yet! Love the yo yo's.

cele schaffer said...

LOVE these cards and YO MAMA-lol! Was also wondering where the white hearts came from,they almost look like parts of doilies punched out?

Anne Tussing said...

So adorable!! I am sorry that I missed your mom's yo-yos. Maybe next time!

Kim H. said...

I love these cards... just love them! And I am sorry I missed out on the yo yo's! They are SO adorable and they go wonderfully on your friendship jar card...

Diana F. said...

I loved this post! The first reason is that the whole "gangsta" talk regarding your mother, how fun is that! Second, I am making yo yo's most nights of the week and really wanting to find ways to incorporate them into my papercrafting, I am loving your ideas. Thank you, thank you.

Teri said...

Yo Mama is awesome!! I love making yo-yo's!! My sister is lucky enough to have an entire bedspread made by her husband's aunt!! I'd kill for it!! LOL!! These are just too cute, I'm sure your Mom is thrilled!! What a special bond you must have!!
Hugs,
Teri

Related Posts with Thumbnails